So you want to decorate your home in Western style without spending a lot of money and looking like you live in a barn. You are probably asking yourself where to start. Here are a few suggestions to help you on your way to a beautifully decorated western style home.
1. Any good decorator will tell you to start with a focus or inspiration piece. That can be an architectural structure like a fireplace, a beautiful view or a special piece of art. If you have an inspiration piece in mind but are unable to purchase it right away, decorate with that piece in mind, and purchase it when you can.
2. You will first want to start with the paint color for the room. Dark colors will make a small room look smaller, so keep in mind the size of the room when choosing colors. Western color themes are typically the color of nature such as cactus greens, earthy browns, sunset reds, deep sky blues and clay yellows. Paint is the easiest, most affordable way to set the stage for western decorating throughout your home.
3. Next, start small, choose several pieces for that room that you like. If you are doing a bathroom, start with the cabinet hardware. There are cabinet knobs and hardware in Old West style with shotgun shells, antlers and barb wire or equestrian style, using conchos, western belts and other items seen in the Horse show ring. All of these items are widely available in rustic western themes, featuring sculptures, ranchscapes cowboys and other iconic symbols of western ranch life. Choose which style you like the best and gradually add some quality pieces. Soap dishes and dispensers, containers for bath items, and necessities like linens, bath mats and shower curtains can all be used to enhance the western theme. Spend the most money on the things you touch like towels, rugs and bathroom accessories to create a feeling of luxury. Hang western art work or rustic signs on large blank spaces, frame the bathroom mirror with old barn wood.
4. If you are decorating a bedroom, you may want to use a few western style photo frames and a few small knick knacks to bring a western touch to the room. Tabletops and shelves make great homes for wrought iron sculptures or small collectibles like wagon wheels, stirrups and spurs. A simple way to incorporate western decor into your home is with artwork. Framed artwork featuring traditional cowboy culture, rustic or pastoral ranch scenes or western wildlife like wolves, bears and horses can be a great addition to any western room decor. Choose a comforter set in a color you love and use that as your color inspiration. Your son loves horses and cowboys and you want to re-decorate his room. Make your inspiration piece a western comforter set, choose a color scheme for the room that compliments it and stick to it. You may want to use an accent wall to bring another color into the room. You can use many different patterns and textures but if you stick to the color scheme it all works together. Pick furniture that goes with the size of the room, don't fill a room with furniture that overpowers it. Personalize it to make is special with his/her name in rope or stenciled on a wall with other western shapes. Do you have his first cowboy boots, use them as part of the decor. Add a bookshelf with some of her favorite horse story books. Decorate the room to fit the age of the occupant.
5. To transform your living room to western decor, start with the furniture. Western furniture is usually large and bulky with overstuffed sofas and chairs. Tables can be rustic using reclaimed wood or iron. Lamps can be unique, made with horseshoes, driftwood, stirrups, spurs or anything your imagination can come up with.
Choose your color scheme and build on it, again, you can use multiple textures and fabrics as long as you stick with the color scheme. Cowhide rugs and pillows enhance the western scheme. Add character with western sculptures or items like horseshoes, stirrups and wagon wheels.
6. The kitchen is a fun place to decorate with a western accessories, there are many different western designs in kitchen decor. Drawer pulls, cabinet hardware, switch plates, towel holders, salt and pepper shakers and many other kitchen ware items that will make your kitchen a fun place to work. Do you have a hard time getting everyone to the table for dinner, get a triangle dinner bell and they will never miss another meal.
If you live in the city, consider taking a day trip to the country in search of swap meets, garage sales or check the newspapers for anyone who might have western decor for sale. Also check online for western decor items that can be purchased and shipped to your door.
When it comes to decorating with Western Home Decor, money and your imagination are the only limits you have. Your house is uniquely yours so have fun while decorating it, enjoy the process, only you will know when you are done.
Visit http://westernskyaccessories.com to see a unique selection of Western home decor and western accessories.
Visit my blog at http://blog.westernskyaccessories.com/
Article Source: http://EzineArticles.com/expert/Patricia_Kemp/2199431
Article Source: http://EzineArticles.com/9294669